The ITEM Coalition is devoted to raising awareness and building support for policies that will enhance access to assistive devices, technologies, and related services for people with disabilities and chronic conditions. The coalition is consumer-led and includes a diverse set of disability organizations, aging organizations, other consumer groups, voluntary health associations, and non-profit provider associations.
Most Recent Advocacy Efforts
- Letter to CMS: ITEM Coalition Comments on 2021 Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Proposed Rule. ITEM Coalition Steering Committee letter.
- Letter to CMS: ITEM Coalition Low Vision Group Comments on Coverage of Low Vision Aids.
- Letter to E&C Committee: Encourage CMS to Permanently “Fix” Manual CRT Wheelchair Accessories Pricing. ITEM Coalition Steering Committee letter.
- Letter to CMS: Comments on Medicare Coverage of Innovative Technology (MCIT) and Definition of “Reasonable and Necessary” Proposed Rule. 38 ITEM Coalition members signed on.
- Letter to House: Support H.R. 8581, the “Triple A” Study Act.
- Letter to Senate: Support S. 4343, the “Triple A” Study Act. 36 ITEM Coalition members signed on.
September 15th: ITEM Coalition Calls on CMS to Expand Medicare Coverage of Seat Elevation and Standing Systems in Power Wheelchairs
- Letter of support from 60 national rehabilitation and disability organizations
- Formal reconsideration request for National Coverage Determination for Mobility Assistive Equipment (NCD for MAE)
- ITEM Coalition press release on submission
- National Council on Disability letter to CMS
The ITEM Coalition’s 2021 Policy Priorities can be found here.