The ITEM Coalition is devoted to raising awareness and building support for policies that will enhance access to assistive devices, technologies, and related services for people with disabilities and chronic conditions. The coalition is consumer-led and includes a diverse set of disability organizations, aging organizations, other consumer groups, voluntary health associations, and non-profit provider associations.
Most Recent Advocacy Efforts
July 7, 2017
- Letter to Congress: Request to Sign-On to Congressional Letter to CMS on Access to DME for Medicare Beneficiaries in Rural Areas.
June 27, 2017
- Congressional Briefing and Hill Visits: The Independence Through Enhancement of Medicare and Medicaid (ITEM), the Coalition to Preserve Rehabilitation (CPR), and the Habilitation Benefits Coalition (HAB) held a Congressional Briefing on The Value of Rehabilitation and Habilitation Services and Devices in America’s Healthcare System. For details and video, click here.
June 13, 2017
- Letter to Secretary Price: Request to Ensure Access to Complex Rehab Technology (CRT) Wheelchairs and Components for Medicare Beneficiaries with Disabilities and Chronic Conditions.
May 25, 2017
- Letter to Congress: Request to Sign-On to Congressional Letter to CMS on Patient Access to Durable Medical Equipment and Related Services, 26 Members signed on.
May 24, 2017
- Letter to Congress: Support for Medicare Beneficiary Access to Speech Generating Devices and Eye Tracking Accessories, 30 Members signed on.
May 18, 2017
- Letter to Congress: Request to Cosponsor S. 794, the Local Coverage and Determination Clarification Act, 33 Members signed on.
The ITEM Coalition’s 2017 Policy Priorities can be found here.