The ITEM Coalition is devoted to raising awareness and building support for policies that will enhance access to assistive devices, technologies, and related services for people with disabilities and chronic conditions. The coalition is consumer-led and includes a diverse set of disability organizations, aging organizations, other consumer groups, voluntary health associations, and non-profit provider associations.
Most Recent Advocacy Efforts
October 15, 2021
- Letter to CMS: ITEM Coalition Comments on Proposed Repeal of MCIT Pathway. 42 ITEM Coalition member organizations signed on.
October 14, 2021
- Letter to CMS: Establish Seat Elevation and Standing Systems as DME. Congressional letter led by Sens. Tammy Duckworth, Marsha Blackburn, and Bob Casey.
October 6, 2021
- Letter to CMS: Open the National Coverage Determination Request for Reconsideration for Coverage of Seat Elevation and Standing Systems. Congressional letter led by Reps. Jim Langevin and Don Young; 77 members of Congress signed on.
September 1, 2021
- Letter to Congress: Support for Medicare Coverage of Low Vision Aids. 40 ITEM Coalition member organizations and 43 additional supporting organizations signed on.
August 30, 2021
- Statement for the Record: Senate Aging Committee, Hearing on “Eyes, Ears, and Teeth: Expanding Medicare to Cover Whole Person Care.”
September 15th, 2020: ITEM Coalition Calls on CMS to Expand Medicare Coverage of Seat Elevation and Standing Systems in Power Wheelchairs
- Letter of support from 60 national rehabilitation and disability organizations
- Formal reconsideration request for National Coverage Determination for Mobility Assistive Equipment (NCD for MAE)
- ITEM Coalition press release on submission
- National Council on Disability letter to CMS
The ITEM Coalition’s 2021 Policy Priorities can be found here.