The ITEM Coalition is devoted to raising awareness and building support for policies that will enhance access to assistive devices, technologies, and related services for people with disabilities and chronic conditions. The coalition is consumer-led and includes a diverse set of disability organizations, aging organizations, other consumer groups, voluntary health associations, and non-profit provider associations.
CMS Opens ITEM-Sponsored Review of Evidence to Cover Seat Elevation Systems in Power Wheelchairs; Further Delays Consideration of Power Standing Systems
On August 15, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) opened a National Coverage Analysis (NCA) for coverage of seat elevation systems in power wheelchairs, but failed to open a review of coverage for power standing systems at this time. The ITEM Coalition and its members are grateful for the opportunity to further express support for Medicare coverage of power seat elevation systems. We are also seriously concerned and disappointed with CMS’ decision to delay consideration of power standing systems, which were included as a related benefit in our original request submitted in September 2020.
The ITEM Coalition urges all member organizations, consumers, clinicians, providers, manufacturers, and any other interested individuals to comment in support of this NCA by visiting www.rise4access.org and following the instructions and guidance on this dedicated website. Comments will be accepted for 30 days, ending on September 14, 2022.
- ITEM Press Release [Link]
- CMS NCD Tracking Sheet [Link]
- Full Reconsideration Request for National Coverage Determination for Mobility Assistive Equipment (NCD for MAE) [Link]
- Letter of support from 60 national rehabilitation and disability organizations [Link]
- National Council on Disability letter to CMS [Link]
- Congressional Support Letters
Most Recent Advocacy Efforts
August 15, 2022
- Letter to CMS: Rescind Medicare Low Vision Aid Exclusion. Congressional letter by Reps. Kim Schrier, Tom O’Halleran, Elissa Slotkin, and Suzan DelBene.
April 25, 2022
- Letter to Department of Transportation: ITEM Coalition Comments on Wheelchair Transportation by Air. ITEM Coalition Steering Committee letter.
February 17, 2022
- Testimony to Ways & Means Health Subcommittee: Written Statement on Bridging Health Equity Gaps for People with Disabilities. 52 ITEM Coalition member organizations signed on.
October 15, 2021
- Letter to CMS: ITEM Coalition Comments on Proposed Repeal of MCIT Pathway. 42 ITEM Coalition member organizations signed on.
October 14, 2021
- Letter to CMS: Establish Seat Elevation and Standing Systems as DME. Congressional letter led by Sens. Tammy Duckworth, Marsha Blackburn, and Bob Casey.
October 6, 2021
- Letter to CMS: Open the National Coverage Determination Request for Reconsideration for Coverage of Seat Elevation and Standing Systems. Congressional letter led by Reps. Jim Langevin and Don Young; 77 members of Congress signed on.
The ITEM Coalition’s 2022 Policy Priorities can be found here.